Markwood Funeral Home was established in 1878 by Jacob H. Markwood. Like many funeral homes of that era, it began as a secondary trade to a furniture store or carpentry business. Markwood Furniture Store was located in the downtown business district of Keyser and the funeral home was operated from a second story parlor.
In 1914, brothers Bernard and Harry Markwood took over operation of the funeral home from their father. Business continued to expand and the funeral operation was moved. The Markwood family home was a stately victorian home on Mineral Street. The first floor was used as a funeral home while the family continued to live on the second and third floors until the entire building was converted for funeral home use.
Through the years, ownership of the funeral home has changed several times with the owners striving to maintain its high standards of service and commitment to the families we serve and to the community. In 1959, Thomas R. Smith, Jr. purchased the funeral home from the Markwood family. Harold W. McKenzie was the owner from 1966 to 1989 when the business was purchased by Harold Dean Nofsinger.
In 1978, an addition to the funeral home was constructed adding a modern chapel and visitation area, new restrooms, a casket selection room and family conference room. Much work has been to the Markwood home, restoring it to the original grandeur and elegance of the victorian period. In 1991 and 2003, properties on the north and south sides of the funeral home were purchased and converted to off-street parking facilities for visitors. A new kitchenette has been installed and extends from the Coffee Room Lounge.
For over 125 years, Markwood Funeral Home has been committed to serving its families with the highest level of professional service by providing adequate, comfortable facilities and a staff dedicated to care for your needs.